Through the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit, we trust in the one triune God, the Holy One of Israel, whom alone we worship and serve.
God comes to us in free and undeserved favor in the person of Jesus Christ who lived, died, and rose for us that we might belong to God and serve Christ in the world. Following Jesus, Presbyterians are engaged in the world and in seeking thoughtful solutions to the challenges of our time.
Presbyterians affirm that God comes to us with grace and love in the person of Jesus Christ, who lived, died, and rose for us so that we might have eternal and abundant life in him. As Christ’s disciples, called to ministry in his name, we seek to continue his mission of teaching the truth, feeding the hungry, healing the broken, and welcoming strangers. God sends the Holy Spirit to dwell within us, giving us the energy, intelligence, imagination, and love to be Christ’s faithful disciples in the world.
Some of the principles at the core of Presbyterian beliefs are the sovereignty of God, the authority of the scripture, justification by grace through faith, and the priesthood of all believers. What they mean is that God is the supreme authority throughout the universe. Our knowledge of God and God’s purpose for humanity comes from the Bible, particularly what is revealed in the New Testament through the life of Jesus Christ. Our salvation (justification) through Jesus is God’s generous gift to us and not the result of our own accomplishments. It is everyone’s job — ministers and lay people alike — to share this Good News with the whole world. That is also why the Presbyterian church is governed at all levels by a combination of clergy and laity, men and women alike.
In Shelocta, we seek God’s will and respond. We participate in mission locally, throughout the nation, and in the whole world, with a special connection to our sister congregation, Kirwa “A” in Rwanda, a part of the Gitarama Presbytery, Eglise Presbyterienne au Rwanda (EPR).
The Shelocta Community Presbyterian Church is made up of a merger of three congregations.
The oldest, the congregation of West Union United Presbyterian church was organized in 1814 and served as the only church in this area for a number of years. The last service held in the West Union church was Easter Sunrise Service on April 15, 1968. The following Sunday, the congregation joined with the Shelocta United Presbyterian Church, marking 154 years of worship in the West Union church.
The Curry Run Presbyterian Church was organized in 1838. On June 30, 1968, the Curry Run church merged with the Shelocta United Presbyterian Church, marking 130 years of worship in that church building.
The Shelocta congregation was formed as an effort of the West Union church. The newly formed congregation held services in the Curry Run church and in School House #1. In April 1856, the congregation called its first pastor. In 1929 the church building burned and once again, the Shelocta congregation held services at the Curry Run church as well as at the Shelocta Grange Hall and the Walker School House. On June 14, 1931, the present church sanctuary was dedicated.
On June 8, 1972, ground was broken for a new Christian Education building, and on May 6, 1973, the new addition was dedicated.